Island Extras: Desktop Wallpaper & Poster / Mystery of Monster Carnival / Champions Map
In the dead of night, a caravan rumbles into town. The traveling carnival has returned! But this is no day at the park. Behind the lights and the laughter, the carnival harbors a dark secret. Buy a ticket if you dare, but beware — once you enter, you may never be able to escape the Monster Carnival!
These pictures are collected in your Poptropica photo album in the profile section.
- Monster Carnival Island is Poptropica’s 37th island. It was released for members on February 21, 2014 with a demo for non-members. The login screen featured the usual running Poptropicans, followed by a cart for Ringmaster Raven’s Circus of the Bizarre trailing slowly behind. MC Island was released to all on March 20, 2014.
- Up until 2014, Monster Carnival was considered the island that never was. It appeared as “coming soon” on the Map back in early 2008, but mysteriously disappeared one day to be replaced by 24 Carrot Island. (Otherwise, MC could have technically been the 4th island!) You can read all about it in the PHB article titled Mystery of Monster Carnival Island.
- Common room: Lazy Sundae Ice Cream (a play on the phrase “lazy Sunday” and sundae ice cream) – the phrase “I scream (you scream)” on the wall is a pun on “ice cream”
- According to the first copy of the newspaper you can read by talking to someone on Main Street (The Standard), the current year is 1956. Older issues of The Standard can be read later on in the quest.
- Honest Gabe’s Auto Repair has a sign that says “PPTRPC HQ” – “Poptropica HQ” with the vowels taken out. Poptropica HQ plays a major part on Mocktropica Island. There is also a sign that says “the best Krpata motor oil” – a reference to Poptropica Creator Mitch Krpata.
- “Honest Gabe” is a play on “Honest Abe”, the nickname of the 16th US President, Abraham Lincoln. However, the auto shop worker tells us that Honest Gabe (the store’s founder) was hardly honest and is in fact serving a prison sentence for defrauding customers.
- If you talk to the woman on Main Street when you start the island, she will show you a newspaper with the news of the carnival on it. To the side of the paper, it says “Butter Contest, only 25 cents”. Later in the quest, when you discover the old newspapers telling the backstory of Bird Boy, the side banners says things like, “Apple Pie Eating Contest, only 15 cents”, or “Two Headed Pig, only 15 cents”. Obviously, the price went up between 1936 to 1956, referencing inflation.
- Betty Brownie from Reality TV Island can be seen in one of the Bird Boy newspapers (The Standard).
- The old newspapers also make brief references to The Hunchback of Notre Dame – one article’s author is Esmeralda Modo, after the story’s gypsy, Esmeralda, and the titular hunchback, Quasimodo. Another article mentions Bird Boy hiding away in a bell-tower, much like Quasimodo in the story.
- The carnie trainee, Edgar, may be named after the poet Edgar Allan Poe, famously known for his poem, The Raven – and as we know, there’s the infamous Ringmaster Raven…
- Dr. Price, the mad scientist behind the Haunted Lab, is a reference to the famous horror film actor Vincent Price, but not a real character on Poptropica (confirmed in this tweet).
- The young girl calls her brother “Bubby”, sort of like how Manny from the Diary of a Wimpy Kid books calls his brother Greg “Bubby”. (Diary of a Wimpy Kid is by Jeff Kinney, Poptropica’s founder.)
- In the ending, you cannot see the Ferris wheel packed up with all the other trucks of carnival gear.
- The calendar in the Apothecary building displays the year as 1956, but the car outside of Honest Gabe’s is a 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air – a car manufactured a whole year later than the island is supposed to have taken place.
- The kid with the blue striped shirt looks like Jughead from the Archie comics.
- Bonus quest (members only): The town is safe, but now a prominent citizen is missing. Has the monster carnival claimed another victim, or is something else behind his disappearance?
- Members get an additional Monster Carnival gear pack, which includes Ringmaster costume, Hypno-Powder item, and Raven Swarm power. The Ringmaster costume is ONLY available until the end of Early Access!
For a written walkthrough with pictures, click on Guide at the top of this page.
discuss monster carnival island here~