Brand New and a New Brand

Heyyo Poptropicans, it’s Ultimate iPad Expert here. I know I just posted today’s PMFM (which you should totally check out, btw (shameless self-promotion)), but Poptropica has just announced some really big news.

We’ve all been wondering for a while what Poptropica has been up to, and it seems we now have an answer. Later this year (when exactly, they have not said), a brand new Poptropica is going to be released! New and improved, as they say.

shoeAnimate

But what are these changes, you may ask? Well, the Creators are still pretty secretive, but they revealed a few details on their blog:

New look! The new Poptropica will still be Poptropica, but it’ll be improved. Newer! Shinier! More features, more options, more FUN — on a new app and a new website!

New avatar! We’re exploring new designs, new movements, and new looks for the Poptropican avatar. Don’t worry, the essential elements that make a Poptropican a Poptropican will still be there! But we’ll change things up a bit — in a really good way.

New stories! We’ll be bringing you new stories for your Poptropican to experience! And we’re exploring the idea of a unified story that connects all of Poptropica in a way that we’ve never done before. I know that sounds pretty mysterious, but that’s all I can say for now…

New stuff! Like SHOES! And pets! And so much more!

New social experience! We’re developing a way for Poptropicans to have a fun and safe social experience within Poptropica. It’s going to be awesome.

I’m especially looking forward to the unified story element. Bringing all of the islands and characters into one awesome universe. And, of course, the prospects of a new social experience is really awesome.

I’m super excited to see where all of this goes. I know some people may be skeptical, and frankly I am too, but this really could be something awesome. Really it is just a lot to handle. 😛

That being said, Poptropica wants to have what you want. They’ve been reaching out to us, the Poptropica Help Blog, to tell us they want to hear your feedback on things they’re working on. Over the coming months, the Creators will be revealing more details about this new Poptropica and we’ll be ready to share that information with you when the time comes. If you like or dislike something, feel free to comment on our PHB posts and let your voices be heard! The Creators do sometimes read and respond!

Do stay tuned to the PHB for more details on not only the new Poptropica, but more updates in the future.

In other news, the minds behind Poptropica themselves have created a new parent company to encompass the many different properties they have created (namely Poptropica, Funbrain, and Galactic Hot Dogs).

StoryArcMain

StoryArc is their new company. I’ll let their site description speak a little more about themselves:

GalacticHotDogsAboutStorytellers. Entertainers. Educators. Creators. Put them all together, and you’ve got StoryArc Media.

At StoryArc Media, we create fun, engaging, interactive experiences that light up kids’ faces and brains. Every day and all around the world, kids enjoy our online games, mobile apps, books, and more, including Poptropica, Funbrain, Galactic Hot Dogs, and Mystery of the Map.

Parents and educators think we’re pretty cool, too, because while StoryArc Media creations are oodles of fun, they also educate and reward players. And our online games and apps for kids under 13 carry the KidSAFE seal, so adults can be assured that children are exploring in a safe environment.

StoryArcTeam

The newly created StoryArc Media website (www.storyarc.media) contains a list of the main team leaders, including a few familiar faces. The newly formed company is headed by Jen MacLean as the President and CEO. Jeff Kinney himself is the chief creative officer of the company, as well. They stated the following in regards to the company:

StoryArc Media is the realization of our storytelling history and extension of the success of our many gems – including Poptropica and Funbrain – with an ample dose of hilarity, respect, and learning, that children love and parents and teachers value. From a brand perspective, StoryArc gives us a solid platform to expand our storytelling to every touch point – school, home and on the go – and seamlessly weave our fans’ favorite characters and stories across the platforms of today and tomorrow.

-Jen MacLean

Our brands are a springboard for kids to explore the world around them and to develop their imagination and creativity. We know reading for fun is the secret to growing a life-long reader and that content today is being consumed across all media – print, digital, and mobile.

-Jeff Kinney

There is also an announcement video on the new StoryArc YouTube channel, which you can check out below:

If you’re interested in checking out any more videos from the big bosses, click here for Jen MacLean or click here for Jeff Kinney.

Last but not least, if you’re interested in more about the company, you can check out their website. And, feel free to check out their social media pages on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and LinkedIn.

And that about wraps up this super important news. Feel free to comment your thoughts on all this, unless you’re still in a state of confusion. 😛

Meme King out. 👑

• Ultimate iPad Expert •

206 thoughts on “Brand New and a New Brand

1. Tall Cactus says:

Dr. Hare being surrounded by weird Funbrain monsters and the oh so terrible Galactic Hot Dogs characters…sorry bro XD. Anyways, I’m both nervous and excited for the new Poptropica. Hopefully it ends up being great with the connected story lines and stuff. But it’s still really sad to see the old Pop go. Oh, first like for both posts today hehe…

Lol.
      I’m optimistically skeptical. I really think this will be a good thing for the community, but there’s that small part of me that doesn’t like change. 😛
      Personally, I don’t think it’ll be too much of a change. They’ll likely keep the same Poptropica feel in their design.
      And yeh. 😛

2. Mighty Gamer says:

This “new Poptropica” is very confusing to me, but hopefully the wait will be worth it, whatever this project is. The post on the creator’s blog was kinda vague imo.

• Ultimate iPad Expert says:

Hey, we got an email about a few other details, but I’m still very confused about everything, as well. 😛
      Honestly, I’m kinda thinking it would’ve been better that they announced this after a little more work and given us more details about it. But, they likely saw our (im)patience and figured they’d reward us some.

• Mighty Gamer says:

I fully agree, actually. Honestly, I do feel more impatient than before with the lack of information and confusion. But that could just be me, as well. 😛

• Super Club says:

That’s what I was thinking when I heard pets! I have a theory that the creators had this whole thing in mind while making Mocktropica, and then hinted about it with metioning adding pets there. I think the idea must have sprouted then, because I haven’t noticed other islands giving us a clue. Plus, it’s more likely they would let something out when they thought of it. Maybe they planned on letting us on earlier but were too underdeveloped! I don’t know…

I’m excited, and a little scared for my current Poptropican. I think they won’t let us down.

3. Fearless Rider (AKA Marshmallowlilypads) says:

Oh, yay!I have always wanted pets!!! I have trapped a few animals in realms, but I got sad looking at them trying to escape and let them go. Or… they would get really angry, turn on me, and attack me when they managed to get out of the cement box I surrounded them in. Yeah, it’s kind of a lose lose situation.

4. ȶǟʟʟ ɖʀǟɢօռ says:

I don’t it to change. All the costumes, asg’s and other amazing works will be completely gone. I’m just kind of upset that they’re making everything “New and improved!”. All of the costumes that I have in my closet will be gone, forever… If there was a way we could stick to the old Poptropica, I would be very, very happy. I don’t want new islands, people, stories and all of the ASG’ers unique costumes will be gone. And we can’t do anything about it. I love my name, Tall Dragon. I love the old one. I’m not ready for a new poptropica. 😥

• Ultimate iPad Expert says:

Well, honestly, most of the things you say you don’t want haven’t been confirmed to be gone. ASGs still may be in the new Poptropica. Similarly, you probably will still be able to keep the same account and outfit, at least I’m pretty sure.

• Cupcakes says:

They did say they were creating a new website, correct? So I believe the old poptropica will remain. Hmm… I’m a bit skeptical. Did poptropica do an april fools prank? Maybe this is it but just a bit delayed.

• Ultimate iPad Expert says:

My understanding of this is that Poptropica will be the same site, and you won’t have to create a new account, just with all the new things they’re adding.
        I am slightly skeptical as well, but I don’t wanna make decisions until we get more details. And no, they didn’t have an April Fools prank this year, so idk maybe this is?

• ȶǟʟʟ ɖʀǟɢօռ says:

I like your idea, Cupcakes. But I’m that kind of guy that doesn’t want things to change. Like cats for example. They get used to that “look” in your house that makes it look unique. But once you start moving furniture and your other stuff, they’ll get anxious. Like I am about the new change. And if they do make a new website and keep “Old Poptropica” that’ll make me very happy. I don’t care whatever they call it, I’ll probably get used to playing the “new” Poptropica, someday… And in my first comment, I forgot to put a *what* inbetween “don’t” and “it”. :-}

• Ultimate iPad Expert says:

You make a good point there. I’m that cat, except I want to go explore the new room that has different furniture. Despite being a little frightened, I want to check out the new room, especially since the owner put treats and toys in there. (If you see my analogy)

• Cupcakes says:

Agreed. I hope it doesn’t turn out the same as the new webkinz…look that up if you dont know what i mean…:(

• ȶǟʟʟ ɖʀǟɢօռ says:

I just don’t like the fact that everyone will have to make it “new and improved!”. Why do you have to change things to make it “new”? It doesn’t make sense. For example, there is a channel I used to watch when I was about 4, it was called Noggin. For some reason, they got rid of it and changed it into “Nick Jr.”. And SpongeBob. They made that “New and shinier” too. I don’t know why they have to do stuff like that. It doesn’t make sense…

• Ultimate iPad Expert says:

The thing is, you’re really only siting the bad changes. “New and improved” can be super amazing, and actually way better than the original.
        Think in terms of tech, products continue to be added that are new and improved, and they’re almost always better than the originals.
        So really, I think you may want to be open to seeing what happens, there’s really not that much to go on. And I just don’t think we need to jump to conclusions right now.

• The Colt says:

“Poptropica Trivial Pursuit!” Buy it in stores before they’re all gone! (deep voice) Poptropica Membership invalid for pay.

5. Cupcakes says:

I have only one request for you PHB! In the future, please please please please pleaaase don’t hack anything and spoil the surprises for us!

• Cupcakes says:

Oh I know, I’m not talking about this, I’m just sayin cuz in the past youve posted things about your hacking and looking at things poptropicas working on. I just don’t want that to happen for this.

• DJScratchStep says:

They shouldn’t be showing Behind-The-Scenes hacking, because the Creators are showing new things on the Daily Pop and on the Creators’ Blog.

• Ultimate iPad Expert says:

I’d rather not debate the merits of showing hacked BTS (which I honestly don’t really love or hate). We’re going to be adding “Spoiler Alerts” to these sorts of posts, if we do any in the future, though.

• SlantedFish says:

Sometimes we share behind-the-scenes findings if they’re interesting and haven’t been shown by the Creators. Some people do enjoy looking at them, but if you’d rather not, you can simply ignore them. 🙂

6. Purple Stomper says:

Oh my gosh. Is it bad that I’m afraid? I love that Poptropica has made advancements and is gaining popularity, but as someone who started in 2007, I guess I don’t want to lose what it’s always been. Don’t get me wrong, I’m excited! But afraid… Ahhh! :p

7. Creepy Goose says:

I think Poptropica is best the way it already is and I don’t want this to happen. But I don’t like changes in general.

And all this is so confusing!
    Why should Poptropica get a new website? Will there no longer exist a http://www.poptropica.com or will it be left open?
    And what kind of design change is the avatar going to get? Could each player deside if they want their character to get the updated look or not?
    What kind of social experience is in development and how will it be different from the one we have now?
    But the most confusing of all is this with “new stories“. ‘Till now we’ve got a new story whenever a new island came, and then it’s this thought of a unified story… What will happen to the islands we have today? Will they stay as they are now or will their storyline be changed or even disappear because of this story?
    I’m left with a head full of questions.

To be honest I think it’s rather scary than exiting, but I hope to become positively suprised. Anyway I’ll miss the old Poptropica.

• Ultimate iPad Expert says:

Oh boy. 😛 I’m gonna do my best to answer these questions.
      I don’t think Poptropica will be changing websites, I think that’s simply a misunderstanding from the way they worded things.
      The new designs are unknown, but I don’t think they’ll be anything too drastically different. Similarly, I don’t think it’ll be a choice, but I don’t think it’ll matter if you change to the new look or not. We’ll likely be able to keep the same costumes and such.
      The new social experience is a complete unknown, but it doesn’t really frighten me much.
      The new stories idea is actually probably the most promising thing for me. I think that all of the previous and future island will be linked into the unified story, so no need to remove old stories, just to combine them.
      So, yeh. I’m considering writing the Creators to see if we could get some more answers to things, but we’ll likely just have to see what happens.

8. ѕιlly pelιcαɴ ♪♫ says:

I’m really hyped up for the upcoming project 😛 However, when I read the ‘New Avatar’ part, that really got me tensed! Will it look bad ? Will it look obnoxious? I’ll really miss the cute little guys of 2008-late this year. ;-; Hoping it wouldn’t be anything major and we’d be able to transfer accounts after the big change uvu I can’t risk losing my baby Silly Pelican!

Glad you’re hyped, I am as well. 😀
      Personally, I don’t think it’ll be anything too major, considering they did say it’s going to keep all of the primary Poptropican-y elements.
      I’m very sure that we’ll be able to use the same accounts and outfits, just a slightly updated character model.

9. Lucky Wing says:

*starts breathing again for the first time since yesterday morning*
    Ok. I think it will be ok. I hope it will be ok. I trust the creators. Mostly. i am a little worried. As in a lot. Please don’t change the Poptropican!
    Ok guys, can we all agree if they mess this us majorly, we will all protest?

10. Whovian-Pegasister says:

I really don’t know what to think of this. Like the rest of you, I’m fairly excited, but I’m worried Pop won’t be like it used to. Then there’s the side of me that doesn’t really care, due to bigger things in my life right now. So, idk. *shrugs*

11. greedyshadow says:

I wonder if they’ll take away those poptropica glitches because they’re fun, but I also wonder if the “new version” will have glitches of it’s own.

• Yujo_Jacy_the_Jumpy_Coyote says:

It’ll be an adventure in itself finding new glitches. Every game has glitches – we’re bound to find some new ones pop up in the new Poptropica, it’s just a matter of time 😉 .

12. Hyper Gamer says:

It’s nice to see that the creators are working on something really special. Hope they don’t forget about the current Poptropica. Maybe a way to connect the two using one account so people can know about both and experience them.

13. AdelaideQueen says:

Do you know if the old accounts, islands and items will be in the new Poptropica? People keep saying they will.

Honestly, if they get rid of years of hard work, I’d probably quit. I played money for this account. 😦

Also, I don’t think this is a prank. Look at their new videos!

• Ultimate iPad Expert says:

At this point, there are only these details about the new Poptropica, so we technically don’t know. I personally believe they will be in the new Poptropica, but that’s just what I believe is the case.
      That’s primarily why I think they’re not getting rid of it. Just wouldn’t really be a point in erasing 8+ years of work. But yeh, I don’t think it’s a prank.

• AdelaideQueen says:

Thanks, I’m way less worried now. 😌

Have you or another PHB member tried asking? You should. I’ve tried tweeting them, but they seem to give information to you the most. The PHB is their favourite blog, too.

That’s good. 😀
        I don’t think we have, but I think I may do that. They’ve been emailing the team a few times, so maybe we could get a few of these more vague things cleared up.

It will indeed! 😀 We got a little message from Jess concerning this, as well:
        “The game will still be Poptropica and will be at Poptropica.com. The website will be new in that it will have the new version of Poptropica on it. The current Poptropica won’t just disappear, though. We’re still working out the details.”

14. Mighty Heart says:

Hi, I’m new.
    What I’m moast exited about is the new avatar! I’m not really sure I’m afraid or skeptical about anything, ’cause I know that Poptropica is in good hands! (I bet you could tell that I’m an optomistic girl)

15. Mighty Heart says:

Hi, I’m new (by my title I’m guessing you know my pop name)
    Honestly, I’m not skeptical or worried about anything. I’m more excited about this stuff! (I’m betting you know I’m an optomistic girl already😋)

16. Cassandra (Casey) says:

Hey! I’m Casandra, and I have some ideas for the new Poptropica. First, since most are kids, teens or in our late teens… I think maybe they could increase the age range OR make it open to all ages! That would be cool. I like the shoes idea. The character designs… I don’t really mind. I’m really excited for the new Pop! My opinion is that it will be awesome.

Hello Casandra. 😀
      Nice ideas. There is a broad age range of Poptropica players, so a more open age range might be a good idea.
      Glad to here you’re excited! I’m pretty sure new Pop will be super great, also.

17. Striped Lizard says:

Oh, just so you know, everyone, me and the Striped Lizard who was on Discord are the same person. In other words, I’m back ^_^

18. Popular Wolf says:

scREAMMMMMM! How?! I’ve been playing Poptropica for like 6 or 7 years! I’m fine with shoes, but a change in art?! WHAT?! *hyperventilates* I am kinda excited, but they better not destroy the Poptropica we know and love! Or my outfit! Or, worse… make this like Club Penguin!

19. Mighty Heart says:

I have an idea (that may not work)…
    What if we could ask other poptropicans through user our multiverse? Like through emails! Poptropica ones. You can’t type anything (because it could be non-safe) it would just say “bla bla ba invited you to the multiverse x y and z”. It would also give you latest uploads too!

20. Funny Ant says:

Yeeeeah, I’m not so sure about this…

Sure, I like the fact that they’re introducing a new enviroment, but it’s kinda… strange…
    I’m not 100% sure, but I’m pretty sure Poptropica wouldn’t “reset” so to speak… (for anyone who’s worrying (like me lols)) they’d lose players that way. Although connecting the stories together should be pretty awesome, AND it kinda explains that one POPspiracy where… uh, I forget who wrote it… well, they did something that POPspiracized about the islands connecting together. (Shark Tooth and Time Tangled.)

And the avatar change… shoot, I liked this avatar… if it looks anything like that GIF, I’d be kinda freaked out… o-O

Anyway, that’s just my two cents. 😛

• Ultimate iPad Expert says:

Nice insight. I agree for the most part, maybe I’m more optimistic about things in general, but yeh. The gif doesn’t frighten me too much. And, really we can’t get a full body image from legs. 😛

21. Mighty Heart says:

What if the PHB had celebs? Like sing, write a song, be a model, make your own music video with you singing… Like that.
    Idk, just a thought.

• Moody Tuna says:

If you look back in the daily pop and forget the stuff we already know, then you can take a quick look at the new pop!

• Moody tuna says:

Do you think we need a second PHB? A NPHB (New Poptropica Help Blog)? When is the new poptropica coming out? When will we create the NPHB? I once had a dream this would happen. Am I a Psychic? Will this dream be true? Will it be 3-D? Why are they making an update? Is this fake? Are the pop creators betraying us? Will there really be story? If there is, will the NPHB ruin it? Or Youtubers like Thinknoodles? Or my dreams? Or the PHB? These are all questions I am asking. And if one is answered, then 10 more pop up. Anyone want to help me with answering these questions?

• Ultimate iPad Expert says:

I’m gonna try to answer all these questions, lol.
        • I don’t think a second PHB is necessary.
        • Yeh, not sure we need one. 😛
        • The new Pop will be out this year, as the what month, that’s unknown.
        • Feel free to create it, if you’d like.
        • Sure? Why not?
        • Probably not from us.
        • I don’t think it’ll be 3D, but it’s possible.
        • They’re making the update because they believe that what they’re doing will improve Pop for the better.
        • I don’t think it’s fake, but possibly.
        • They’re not betraying us. 😛
        • I’m sure there will be a story, and probably a good one, at that.
        • And the NPHB probably wouldn’t ruin it, if we created such a thing.
        • Think probably won’t either, I’d assume.
        • Well, Idk all your dreams, so maybe.
        • I don’t think the PHB will.
        Hope that’s helpful. 😛

22. Marshmallow says:

So, I know a lot of you guys are upset and confused about the Poptropica change, and, yeah, I don’t really like a lot of change either. So, since a lot of you are uptight, I just decided to share this video that my babysitting charge showed me a while ago. I know that I’m a little old for it, but if you are into original cartoons like I am, you are gonna love this!
    (The beginning is a little odd, I know :P)

23. Young Singer says:

“The newly created StoryArc Media website (www.storyarc.media) contains a list of the main team leaders, including a few familiar faces.”
    All I See Around Me Are Familiar Faces… Worn Out Places…
    ( i had to make that a joke sowwie XD )

24. Super Grape says:

Question will we be able to keep the poptropica avatars we have? Or will we have to make new ones? Cause I want to keep my original avatar.

• Striped Lizard says:

By “unified story” did you mean the idea I told you about on March 10? If you did, awesome!! I’d really like it to be part of the new Poptropica!

25. Super Grape says:

will E.Vile return to the new Poptropica?! I have had a theory that he could be Mordred’s father! Think about it!

26. Popular Noodle says:

If you ask me, the original is always WAY better than the sequel. No matter what, I’m not leaving today’s Poptropica, even if it means being deserted by all my friends, even if it means being deleted along with everything else! But no offense meant to the creators. 🙂

• Ultimate iPad Expert says:

I think there’s exceptions to that rule. For instance, look at Toy Story or Kung Fu Panda. 😛
      But glad you’re willing to stick by the old Pop. I don’t think it’s fully going anywhere.

27. Ella says:

I am excited for this but also skeptical. Will they be getting rid of the old website? I would love to go back and play the original after they update as I love those islands.

• Ultimate iPad Expert says:

I’m the same way. My understanding of the situation is that they aren’t getting rid of the old website, but obviously I don’t know all the details.
      I’m pretty sure, if they do remove the old website, all the islands will be moved to the new Pop, so I don’t think there’ll be a problem in that regard.

28. Tall Boa says:

Does anyone know if they will change the existing Poptropica app, or if they will just update it? If they create a new app, will they still keep the old app as well? Sorry, I have a lot of questions about this 🙂 I guess I’m unsure whether to be skeptical or excited. I really hope we don’t lose our accounts- I’ve had mine since 2006!

29. Magic Snowball says:

I have no idea what to expect. I’ve seen other games being renovated and they turned out terrible, so I’m not really positive over this ‘new Poptropica.’ But hey, I laughed (really hard) at a doona cover the other day..
    Besides, new shoes sound absolutely amazing. Am I right?
    -MS

30. Melinoe says:

It sounds pretty interesting but if they’re going to make a new site for this new Poptropica, I hope they don’t shut the old one down :3 that way old players can still have the nostalgia and new players could experience the original and see how it “evolved” into the remake

31. Fast Leopard says:

I want it to change but I don’t want my poptropican to change or the islands to change either! The only good thing I can think of are the shoes and pets. Please reply when you get more info, slantedfish, Ultimate Ipad Expert, or brave tomato!

32. Poptropica's Very Own Mighty Warrior says:

If there will be houses on the New Poptropica, one thing I would REALLY like as a décor option is a dartboard with Muddy Club (username JackieIII) on it. Right now I really don’t like him. And he’s my older brother IRL.

33. Friendly Club says:

My one question is this: Will our items be transferred? Cause I know in the non SUI’s some of my items don’t work…will this be permanent for new poptropica?