PHB’s 7th Halloween Competition Winners!

phb hallo win 2015

Happy Halloween, Poptropicans! It’s finally time to unveil the winners of this year’s PHB Halloween Competition, which came in two parts: costumes and Photo Booth. We’re celebrating our recent milestone of 20 million hits by choosing 20 winners; 10 for each portion. Here we go…

Part I: Costumes

Mirror, mirror on the wall; who’s the scariest of them all? Well, the PHB team enjoyed looking at the great number of ghastly garbs that dared to enter this hallowed competition, and we’ve finally narrowed it down to ten of this year’s best! These guys get the honor of being shown on the front page via this post, as well as having their costumes immortalized on the PHB’s Costumes page. Check ’em out:

Part II: Photo Booth

The Creators may have held their own Photo Booth Halloween challenge, but we were first – and we did promise to award memberships to the winners! 😉 Check out these spine-chilling spectacles created right in Home Island’s Photo Booth (with a bit of clever image editing in #2)!

If you are one of the Photo Booth winners, check your email for a message from the PHB regarding having your membership awarded to you. #1 gets a 6-month membership, #2 and #3 get a 3-month each, and #4-10 each get a 1-month! Might come in handy for the upcoming Escape from Pelican Rock Island. 😛

We had hundreds of entries for the PHB’s 7th Annual Halloween Competition, and regardless of whether or not yours made this list, thank you for participating! If you’d like to check out everyone’s entries, browse the comments section of the contest post before it’s too late. 😉

Still in the Halloween spirit? Check out the new PHB post, “Scariest Poptropica Moments”!

👻 † Happy Halloween from the PHB! † 👻
🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃

~

zomberries dancing

Dance like a Zomberry!

95 thoughts on “PHB’s 7th Halloween Competition Winners!

• The Poptropica Costume Creators says:

Judging by the fact that our account came out of practically nowhere and that our first few comments ever were on the submission post, and also that our picture was pretty cool and therefore won, I wouldn’t exactly say that it was rigged. Everyone had amazing entries, but remember, they DID have to pick just a few. Personally, we had a TON of fun looking through all the other entries, yours included!

• Happy Panda says:

I say it is rigged, in my opinion, because some costumes/photos didn’t look that great. Then I saw who made them (hint, hint), and then I thought it was rigged.

• slantedfish says:

I personally went through every costume and photo entry to determine the winning entries, and also considered input from other PHB staff. I believe the winning entries are of quality, but whether you agree or not is a matter of opinion.

The process was quite fair and in no way “rigged”; as in, winners were not pre-determined before the contest had even begun. Those who won are PHB readers just like you – I don’t see how who they are makes any difference in their chances.

1. Some Guy says:

Well,at least I got an honourable mention,so I’m counting that as a win! Thanks guys!

Also,the funny thing about ‘Dead Ringer’ is that I made it before the halloween makeover the photo booth got! So I guess that shows you even photos not having any halloween extras the creators added still had a chance,and mine was up there!

• slantedfish says:

It wasn’t just an honorable mention – all the Photo Booth pics shown in the post won a membership! For the Photo Booth pics, 4th to 10th place wins a 1-month membership. Watch your email for a message from the PHB regarding having your membership awarded to you. 🙂 And congrats!

Hope you don’t mind the (pun-intentional) “Dead Ringer” title, by the way – yours was untitled, so one was made for you. 😛

• Some Guy says:

Oh really?Wow,I actually won something for once!Cool!

Er,I mean,yeah,just another win for me!I’m such a pro!

No,I’m fine with the name. It’s quite creative,really. What I really want to know is why it’s better than the others,because in my opinion,they were quite close. They also have a running theme with them-try figuring it out if you have the time (Hint: There are 3 characters who appear in every photo. One of them has the same role in each photo)!

• slantedfish says:

The “ringing” effect with your character amid a graveyard of zombies was a cool concept. We saw lots of creative Photo Booth entries, but in the end had to narrow it down to 10!

Also, what’s the running theme? 😛

• Some Guy says:

Haha,the running theme with mine is my character’s obliviousness to everything happening around him.

In the first one,he’s just trying to call someone while there are ghosts and zombies everywhere.

In the second and third,he’s trying to rob graves but also is oblivious to the spooky peeps behind him.

In the fourth (which is my personal favourite-though #5 is similar),he’s just knocking on the door,while,er…see the photo for everything.

In the last one,he’s angrily talking on his phone again while the disco is getting crashed by zomberries.

Dr.Lange and the Vampire Hunter are both there in all photos,but their roles vary.

2. phil says:

Wow… I honestly never thought I would place in the costume section xD. Thanks though! Glad to participate (and extremely fortunate to be a winner)! Glad you liked my costume :).

• slantedfish says:

“Glitching” for costume parts is part of a noticeable portion of the Poptropica community, and probably inevitable in a costume contest anyway. However, there’s still an art to assembling good costumes that may make use of “rare” as well as “common” parts. As we mentioned a while back on the PHB, just because a costume contains “rares” does not make it a “good outfit” (in some cases, it could even be the opposite).

Since this was a contest about making good outfits, and not about who has the best rares, rares weren’t forbidden (nor were they required). Also, the status of whether something is rare or not can fluctuate, which can be hard to account for.

3. ☠Jacob_Da_Boss☠ says:

I was chatting with my friend that competed in this competition also, and they mentioned their costume won. I congratulated them, but I misread them saying they won membership, when it was apparently me. xD I rushed over to this site to see their costume up with the other winners, and scrolled down to see my picture. Glad it was liked at least enough to be considered a winner. 🙂 Thanks a ton! 😀

I have a question though. Do I just reply to the email with the required information, or do I have to do something on here? (Just making sure of things. 😛 )

Well, thanks again. I can’t wait ’til next year. 🙂

4. ☠Jacob_Da_Boss☠ says:

Membership active… Now to buy out the store, finish those store mini games, and complete the bonus quest things on a bunch of the islands. Wish me luck! 😀 (Probably other things that I can’t think of at the moment, but those are the main things. ^_^)

If I remember correctly, someone said that after membership expires, you can’t use the things that you bought in the store that required membership to obtain. Is that true?

• slantedfish says:

Unfortunately, no, the closet can only be used when you’re a member. However, non-members can save costumes to their closet (but not customize from them) by using the costume booth in PoptropiCon: Episode 1. 😛 Costumes you save will remain in the closet regardless of membership, though.

5. Big Crush says:

oh my gosh, i can’t believe i actually won! this is awsome. i plan on using my prize to 1. complete all the extra mission membership only exclusives, 2. buy some membership stuff, 3. store some costumes ( i have wanted to do this for so long!) and 4. hopefully use it for the prison island. again, thanks so much!

6. Young Singer -Nariko- says:

Fishy,
    I’m sorry for disturbing, but to complete my costume, i want that mouth from the green alien girl sitting on the couch in PoptropiCon Episode 2. she sits on the couch on 2nd floor beside the creep hanging from the ceiling (pinata man)
    I’ve used the Coustomize everything glitch for SUIs about 7 times now. is there any way i could get it?!
    If you find any way to get it, plz tell me
    ~YS

7. EmoTrinity says:

The My Chemical Romance one is my favorite. I love Helena (The Song)
    I only really play the Poptropica app (I prefer it) so it was a bit hard for me to make a costume. I’m planning on playing the online version more, but I actually started my account on the app. I should make a Welcome to the Black Parade costume next year tho, lol

8. Melinoe says:

Just goes to show that this contest wasn’t rigged, I’m pretty much a nobody on this site and I still somehow won XD anybody who genuinely believes this was faked is simply immature and jealous

As for the place I earned, I must say I’m very humbled and flattered ^^ I never really planned on winning, just participating, but it’s nice to know fellow fans liked my elf girl