Miles from civilization, it’s just you against nature. Can you survive in the wilderness and find your way back home?
[Episode 1: Crash Landing] Night has fallen and the temperature is dropping. Alone in the forests of the Yukon, you must find a way to build a fire — but time is running out.
[Episode 2: Hook, Line and Sinker] With no help in sight, your hunger threatens to overtake you. Can you catch your next meal under the ice — or will you become fish food?
[Episode 3: Distress Signal] A broken radio. A chance for rescue. Send a distress call if you can, but beware of who might be listening!
[Episode 4: Cabin Fever] Your rescuer offers a hot meal and a comfy bed, but you’re not his guest – you’re a prisoner. Can you escape the wilderness lodge before his next hunt begins?!
[Episode 5: Escape!] The hunt is on! In the darkness before dawn, can you turn the tables on your pursuer and escape the woods once and for all?
These pictures are collected in your Poptropica photo album in the profile section.
These are the items you collect in your inventory as you go along in the quest.
- Survival Island is Poptropica’s 38th island. It is the first island to be released episodically, meaning that new chapters (episodes) will be released over time so that we won’t have to wait so long for a new Poptropica adventure. The first episode (Crash Landing) was released to members on March 20, 2014 and April 17, 2014 for everyone.
- Survival Island is the first island to have no common room.
- According to the official description, the island takes place in the Yukon, which is in Canada.
- This island appears to focus on the conflict of man versus nature.
- One of the handbook pages is titled “Can’t start a fire without a spark” – a line in the Bruce Springsteen song “Dancing in the Dark”.
- There’s a cutscene at the beginning of the island where your blimp crashes in the thunderstorm, which is the first time the blimp has played a role other than transporting you from island to island.
- At the start of Ep 2, you climb down the cliff you could jump off of in Ep 1. The chunk of wood you can throw off the edge of the far left cliff in Episode 1 awaits you on the ground in the first area of Episode 2.
- The crashed plane in Episode 3 is labeled “Mews Airlines”, a reference to the Mews Foundation, first seen on Cryptids Island.
- In Episode 3, when you search through the bag of coins, there’s a coin worth “10 Twitcoins”, a spoof of the 21st century Bitcoin currency. This coin is dated 2014, the year Survival was released. The motto on the coin is “vires in absurdum” (Latin for ‘strength in the absurd’), also a spoof for the motto on Bitcoins, “vires in numeris” (‘strength in numbers’).
- American pennies stopped being made out of copper in 1982. This is reflected in Episode 3, when you need a copper penny made in 1981 to help you assemble a radio.
- The Pocket Knife you find on a tree branch in episode 3 is a Victorinox Swiss army knife. However, the logo has a “P” in it for Poptropica.
- Starting from Episode 4, the plot is loosely based on the 1924 short story The Most Dangerous Game by Richard Connell (click here to read it). In it, the big-game hunter General Zaroff intends to hunt humans who end up on his island, much like Myron Van Buren of Survival Island. The story is referenced in a newspaper clipping found on the wall of Van Buren’s trophy room, which says: “Myron Van Buren, the last descendent of the legendary Van Buren hunting family, continues his family’s quest to seek out ever more dangerous game.”
- “Cabin Fever” is the name of the 6th Diary of a Wimpy Kid book (by Poptropica Creator Jeff Kinney) as well as the title of the 4th episode of Survival Island.
- The pitcher from Episode 4 says “Jon” on it, a reference to Poptropica Creator Jon Pitcher. Clever.
- Myron Van Buren bears a striking resemblance to the hunter in the classic film Jumanji. As if the similarity in appearance weren’t enough, the angry Jumanji hunter’s name is Van Pelt!
- Members get an additional Survival gear pack. Wind Power, Ghillie Suit, and Rhino Costume are available now.
For a written walkthrough with pictures, click on Guide at the top of this page.
Episode 1: Crash Landing
Episode 2: Hook, Line, & Sinker Episode 3: Distress Signal Episode 4: Cabin Fever
discuss survival island here~