Island Extras: Desktop Wallpaper & Printable Poster
After the stores have closed and the shoppers have all gone home, the mall is your playground. But are you alone on the night watch… or is someone watching you? From escaped animals to creeping cat burglars, get ready to find out what really happens after hours!
These pictures are collected in your Poptropica photo album in the profile section. Click to enlarge.
- Night Watch Island is Poptropica’s 33rd island. It was released to members on February 21, 2013 with a demo for non-members and will open to all on March 14, 2013. The login screen for its release featured characters from the island, such as the burglar dashing quickly and mall cop on a segway trailing behind.
- There are a number of references to the Back to the Future film series: the parking lot contains the DeLorean car, known for being a time machine in the movies; the red jeep parked beside it, which is what Marty McFly drives when he’s not time-traveling; the time saying 9:02pm; the Sports Almanac 1950-00 in Slugger’s; and the name Twin Palms Mall, referring to Twin Pines Mall, where Marty meets Doc Brown in the first film.
- Slugger’s Athletic Keepsakes has team pennants for Dos Cactos (Wild West), River City Rodents (Shrink Ray), Poptropica Paddlefish (the team Joe Puddy supports in Zomberry – you can see the banner in his apartment), and Hemlock Haunts (Ghost Story).
- In Slugger’s store, you can see Wilson the volleyball, who is also seen on Shark Tooth Island’s “Castaway Island” as a reference to the movie Cast Away.
- Common room: Bananabee’s (a parody of the Applebee’s restaurant chain)
- Giuseppe’s Toys is a reference to Mister Geppetto, the fictional elderly character who created Pinocchio. “Geppetto” is a nickname for Giuseppe.
- The game on the Smart Phone, Planet Slug, is similar to Angry Birds (in outer space).
- The criminal’s name, Preston Wilhelm, may be a reference to the Wilhelm scream.
- Preston Wilhelm drives a Dorf Bean 2, a reference to the Dorf Bean car first seen on Zomberry Island.
- PrintFax is a reference to FedEx, a delivery and photocopying service.
- At PrintFax, there’s a sign that says “Choose your favorite font: Papyrus, Comic Sans, Jokerman,” all written in their respective typefaces. These fonts are reputably known for their unprofessional (and some might say ugly) looks.
- The mall cop scooter you ride on is a Segway.
- On the front window of the No Pain No Gain Fitness store, there’s an ad for Sports Nectar, which is sold on Cryptids Island as Poptropica’s favorite sports drink.
- When the burglar is finally unmasked at the end of the island, he cries “I would have gotten away with it if not for this meddling security guard!” This is a reference to the villains’ catchphrase in Scooby-Doo.
- The employee of the month depicted in the mall manager’s office is the training robot kid who was destroyed when you told him off for running up the escalator during your mall cop training.
- The Carnival Costumes store references other Poptropica islands: Bobo the Clown poster (Counterfeit Island), Japanese geisha (Red Dragon), cardboard box robot (Game Show), elf (Twisted Thicket), police officer (Super Power), Medicine-Man-like mask (Shark Tooth), and rich guy’s money hat (SOS).
- The shirts folded into squares in the spot-the-difference game (In The Now shop) reference other Poptropica shirts such as the flaming skull shirt of the Biker Boy in the Store, musical note shirt, and black shirt with skull. It also references characters from other islands such as Dr. Hare (one of the differences: changes to Medicine Man), Black Widow, and Balloon Boy.
- A MacGuffin is a plot device as a form of some motivation for a character to be willing to sacrifice almost anything to pursue. There is a long line of fans camped outside the mall eagerly waiting for the new MacGuffin’s store product to be released, and it looks like they will do anything for it.
- A slugger (as in Slugger’s Athletic Keepsakes) is a baseball term for someone who consistently hits for power, especially for home runs.
- Crawl Mart rhymes with Walmart.
- The logo design and name of Good Deals (Electronics Shop) is a spin off of Best Buy.
- The mall atrium contains a Berry Delicious Smoothie Shop, first seen in Zomberry Island. This one comes with a new flavor – oranges.
- The characters on the Chinese Food booth sign say “shí wù” in Mandarin Chinese, which just means food (as opposed to Chinese food).
- As you ride the elevator, elevator music will play – another rare case of sound in Poptropica.
- The prized baseball card that the burglar wanted was of Honus Wagner of the Pittsburgh Pirates.
- In the Mall Atrium fountain, you can collect coins which will come out of the water every once in a while. You can use these coins for the rides next to the elevator on the left.
- In MacGuffin’s, when you click on the chocolate toothpaste, your character talks about his/her mom, revealing that your character has a mom!
- In Good Deals (Electronics Shop) your character can say “What good is a tablet if it can’t run Flash?”, probably referencing the iPad and its inability to run Flash.
- Bonus quest for members only: A training robot has gone haywire and scattered valuable collectibles around the mall. You’ll have to explore every nook and cranny of the building in order to bring them all back! The prize is an Old-Time Baseball Uniform.
- Members get an additional Night Watch Island gear pack, which includes Cat Burglar costume, Burnt Orange Tan power, and Whoopzie Cushion (a parody of the Whoopee Cushion) item. The Cat Burglar costume is ONLY available during Early Access!
For a written walkthrough with pictures, click on Guide at the top of this page.
discuss night watch island below~