Poptropica is filled with plenty of secrets and surprises, and this page is here to show you some of the cool things you can do or get in the game, including “glitching” for rare items! Some are just for fun, and some may even get you ahead. Plus, check the comments below for even more tricks.
To enter these promotional codes, go to the Poptropica Store section of Poptropica, and where it says “Promo Code” in the top right corner, type in the code and enter for your cool new freebie.
- GHDBOOK: Galactic Hot Dogs Mega Dog costume
- GOREALMS: Realms Builder costume
- POPANYWHERE: Poptropica App – Tablet & Phone
- SKULLBOOK: Skull Pirate costume
Hotkeys & Special Effects
Note: Mac users will need to replace “Ctrl” with the “Command” key for these cheats to take effect.
- Ctrl + Shift + R: Completely randomizes your Poptropica character (may or may not acquire a handheld item, such as a basketball or cell phone) – you will lose your current outfit!
- Ctrl + Shift + S: Changes your character’s skin color
- Ctrl + Shift + H: Changes your character’s hair color (at first it may just show some computer history, but click on the Poptropica screen once and press “H” only and it’ll change hair color)
- Ctrl + Shift + P: Character wears a pumpkin mask
- Ctrl + Shift + 1: Character does the laughing emote
- Ctrl + Shift + 2: Character does the crying emote
- Ctrl + Shift + 3: Character does the angry emote
- Ctrl + Shift + 4: Character does the jumping emote
- Ctrl + Shift + F6: Randomizes character (same as Ctrl + Shift + R, above)
- Ctrl + Shift + F10: Pauses game (or press the pause button in the upper-left corner)
- S: Press “S” to skip a character’s dialogue when he or she is talking. You may have to click on the screen to get it to work. (note: does not work on SUIs – sound-updated islands)
Easter Eggs are secret surprises often found in many games, including Poptropica. Listed below are just a few of the many secrets of Poptropica.
The cell phone can be found at Mountains of the Moon, Nabooti Island, inside the cave lying on the bottom left corner of the scene. Enter certain number codes into the phone to get a cool new costume. Note that this can get rid of something you’re wearing.
- 1225: Santa Hat and Sack
- 911: Police Outfit
- 411: Brain Helmet
- 1337: Nerdy Outfit (Comic Kid/Ned Noodlehead)
There’s a free “Skull Mask” wearable item hidden in a cave in Legendary Swords. To get it, enter the cave from the beginning and pass by the first cave area. In the second cave area, near the place where you find your first Legendary Sword (Rusty Relic), go left and jump up until you reach a brown space filled with strange fossils. Keep going left until you see the Skull Mask, then click to receive it!
- On Time Tangled Island, use your time device and click on 831 AD, the Viking time period.
- Walk over to the cave area but don’t go inside.
- Put on your glider from Leonardo’s workshop.
- Jump on the right side of the cave to get the bonus Viking Suit. Glide from the Viking mountain until you land on the ledge with the suit tucked away in the upper righthand corner of the Viking time period.
Here’s how even non-members can get an otherwise members-only costume! The prize is hidden at the Poptropica Towers on Early Poptropica Island. Go left until you stop at a green tower, jump up four stories high, and find the window pane in the middle with the orange flower pot. Click on the top-left corner of that window, and you will receive the “Hypnotic” costume!
A glitch is not intentionally placed into the game like the Easter eggs, but you can still have some fun with it on Poptropica and use it to impress your friends! (Special thanks to Fuzzy-B, SL, Elphangor, Mashimai, and others.) (Note: May not work on SUIs – sound-updated islands.)
Avatar Studio Glitch (also known as ASG or cloning)
- Log into the Poptropica account you want to change the costume of.
- Open the Poptropica Avatar Studio in another tab.
- Type a rare username* (see list below) in the username box. (*account must be wearing the jetpack from Early Poptropica for this to work)
- Refresh Poptropica. If a message appears, do not hit retry, hit cancel. Press ‘Load’ a bunch of times on the Avatar Studio tab, then go back to the Poptropica tab and you’ll be prompted to save a new account with the cloned costume. Note that this will replace your current costume with that of the user you typed in. This could change your character’s gender if your gender is not the same as the account.
- No Eyes, No Mouth: Use the username “KeithSammut19” for step 3.
- Angry Eyes: Use the username “jcwarw49” for step 3.
- Gender Swap: Do the above with the username “KeithSammut19” if you want to change your girl account to a boy. If your account is a boy and you wish to change it to a girl, try it with the username “tentacle”.
Costumize Everything (SUI only)
Note: This glitch may not always work, and can only be done on SUIs (sound-updated islands).
- Find the character you want to customize from on an SUI (island with color on the map).
- Click on the Menu in the top-right corner and access your inventory (brown bag icon).
- Click on the green coin icon (Store items).
- Pick a costume card and click “Costumize”.
- In the Costumizer window, click the character icon (under the green shirt button).
- Select the character you want to customize from. You’ll be able to customize all their items!
Floating in Air
- Beat Nabooti Island (walkthrough here).
- Go to the Nabooti Museum.
- Go to where the totem pole was.
- Jump into the open air and you will float on where the pole used to be!
- You must have finished Mythology Island first.
- Buy Medusa Hair from the Poptropica Store.
- Go to Mythology Island and enter the Minotaur’s place.
- Go to your Store items and use the Medusa hair on the Minotaur.
- He will now have unusual ears that you can customize!
- Get a peg leg from the Store’s pirate costume or multiplayer rooms.
- Go to Spy Island and on Main Street, you will find a woman in a jumpsuit that covers your whole body.
- Customize the jumpsuit and now will you have only one leg.
Non-costumizable Character (dogs, cats, robots)
- Locate a dog, cat, or robot that you can’t normally customize.
- Click on it.
- Immediately, go to your Friends tab.
- Click on your first friend.
- Scroll to the right right for 20 seconds.
- Click the Costumize button to the right (tiny blue shirt).
- There should be the dog, cat, or robot you clicked on in the Costumizer window, and if not, try again.
Standing on Rope
- Climb onto any rope, such as the one hanging from the blimp.
- Perform any emote (Ctrl + Shift + 1/2/3/4) or use a handheld item with a special effect (space bar).
- When your character is done with the action, you’ll be standing on rope!
- Walk over to the cord on Main Street, Spy Island.
- Put on the grappling bow-tie.
- Jump on the cord/telephone wire, aim the bow-tie down, and it’ll stick there.
- You’ll be in the parkway with the cord under your feet!
Custom Name Genie
Using a secret method, here at the PHB we are able to bring custom names to Poptropicans. Please read and understand the following before sending a request:
- We will need to make a new account in order to apply custom names (as in, not existing accounts), so you will need to specify the username, password, and gender you want for the account we will make.
- Names that are not a standard Poptropica name (see list here) will appear in-game (in common rooms and the friends list) as Poptropican Lizard, but will retain their custom appearance on the Avatar Studio. You may request up to four parts to the name (three spaces maximum) or else there will be an error. We recommend one or two parts. Be creative!
- We reserve the right not to fulfill requests at our discretion (for example, we will not do names that may be offensive).
- This service is done manually by a person, so please allow some time for processing the request. If you do not receive your account after one week, contact email@example.com. Please don’t spam with the same request, and don’t send in more than one request form a week.
Now that we’ve cleared that up, you can make your request with the form below!
Big Sword, Scissors, Apple, Spears, Hades’ staff, Bongo, Club, Dynamite
- Add the username 55990022567 to your Poptropica friends list.
- Go to his costume closet and look for those rare handheld items to customize.
Big Spoon, Book, Swords, Feather, Paddle, Handcuffs
- Add the username everything173 to your Poptropica friends list.
- Go to his costume closet and look for those rare handheld items to customize.
Cup of colored juice
- Enter the Carrot King Diner on 24 Carrot Island.
- Go to the drink-filling area on the left and get any color of juice you want.
- Log out and log back into Poptropica.
- You’ll be carrying a cup of juice of the color you chose!
Candle & Fire iron
- Go to Great Hall in Bram’s Castle on Vampire’s Curse Island.
- Click on a Candle or Fire Iron so that you are holding it.
- Turn on a Store item card like Torch or Electrifier (you may also be able to use Ctrl + Shift + S).
- Turn off the Store item card’s effects.
- Exit the Great Hall and you should now be able to hold the candle or fire iron anywhere until it is customized away!
- Go to Game Show Island.
- Go to your items and turn on the Fan.
- Press Ctrl + Shift + S so that your skin changes color.
- Walk into a room and you should now be able to hold the fan anywhere!
- Travel to Early Poptropica Island.
- Get your Jetpack and then go to the left to the Poptropica Towers.
- Go down the underground area (Dark Room on your Map) where the boy is holding the skateboard.
- Climb down the rope. You’ll be holding a glow stick.
- Take off your Jetpack, and climb back up to the rope.
- When you exit the Dark Room, you’ll be holding the glow stick!
- Go to Cryptids Island and go to New Jersey.
- Ride on the Motorcycle and stop at the first pace you can.
- When you get off the Motorcycle and are holding the Lantern, press Ctrl+Shift+S so that your skin changes color.
- Ride back to the start, you should now be able to hold the Lantern anywhere until it is customized away.
Ninja items: Bo staff, throwing stars, smoke bomb
- Go to Red Dragon Island and do your Ninja Training.
- While holding any of the Ninja items, press Ctrl+Shift+S so that your skin changes color.
- When you are done, you should now be able to hold the ninja item anywhere until it is customized away.
- Go into Dr. Hare’s dream on Super Villain Island.
- Once in and holding the Pickax, press Ctrl+Shift+S so that your skin changes color.
- Press “Wake Up” and you are done. You should now be able to hold the pickax until it is customized away.
- Go to the Vikings time period on Time Tangled Island.
- Wear the glider and enter the cave.
- Inside the cave, take off the glider.
- Exit the cave, and you’ll be holding the torch.
Beards & Facial hair
If your prepubescent face is feeling a little bare, put on a beard to tell the world what a man you are! Or, reduce your status to Baby with one of Mr. Yoshi’s costumes… it’s up to you. Thanks to Nice Dragon, SL, PoptropicaaGCHelp, Fuzzy-B, Elphangor, and anyone else who helped in discovering these cheats.
- Go to Wild West Island and use the Beard Brew.
- Press Ctrl + Shift + S so that your skin changes color.
- Go into a new room and you should now be able to keep the beard anywhere until customized away!
Pointy Beard for Boys
- Get Dr. Hare’s Secret Lab from the Poptropica Store and go there.
- Enter the orange door to start the mini-quest.
- Walk right and jump on the platform there.
- Jump off to the left and hide behind the crate of carrots.
- Wait for one of Dr. Hare’s minions to walk by on the platform above you.
- Click on the Costumizer and then on the Dr. Hare minion above.
- Customize his pointy beard!
- Go to Lunar Colony Island and click on the guard dog outside Mission Control.
- Click on your “Friends” button immediately after clicking on the dog.
- Immediately click on your first friend and scroll to the right until you can not see them anymore.
- Click on the “customize” button inside the “Friends” feature and customize your “Dog Beard.”
Still looking for some rare costumes that will dazzle the commoners? Check out these cheats.
- Visit the Poptrogiverse Ad Transporter website made by KeithSammut and Zerror.
- Click on an ad listed and you will be able to play the ad on Poptropica. These are ads that have appeared in the game before but have been removed because their time was up. However, you can use this method to play the ad and receive the “limited edition” prizes, which you will be able to keep in your inventory.
For more Poptropica cheats and glitches, check out KeithSammut’s website.
Mr. Yoshi’s Game Show Costumes
- Go to Game Show Island and go on the “Mr. Yoshi” game show in Tokyo.
- While wearing whichever costume you want (Baby, Chicken, or Bowling Ball) press Ctrl+Shift+S so that your skin changes color.
- Continue on through the game show. Once you leave, you should be able to keep whatever costume you wanted until you customize it away!
There are links to Poptropica SWF (Shockwave Flash) files, eg. http://static.poptropica.com/items/item13.swf, where you can see various Poptropica item cards. Replace “13” in the URL mentioned with different numbers for more item cards! Items in the 1000s = island medallions, 2000s = advertisement items, 3000s = Poptropica Store items.
Find more back door Poptropica files on the Behind the Scenes page!
explore, collect, compete
If you know of any other working cheats, glitches, and codes that you’d like to share, you can comment about it here on this page! Check out all the comments below for even more cheats!